Monday, January 23, 2012

White Siberian Iris




Siberian Iris
Iris sibirica
(EYE-ris) (sy-BEER-ah-kuh)



This Iris has been an amazing performer. It just has been growing and growing and flowering through the years. I didn’t plant the original patch but have since planted hundreds of divisions at several different gardens. It’s getting to the point that I won’t be dividing it anymore. Too much of good thing sometimes is a bad thing.


Siberian Iris is an easy and rewarding garden perennial. This white is a little unusual (but not rare) color. They are mostly in the blue and purple hues and I have seen a light pink before. They grow nicely in boggy soil and at the edge of ponds but can also colonize dry areas. They can also grow in partial shade but I have found that they are not as vigorous in those conditions.


We are getting ready to leave for Florida tomorrow. I have to decide which equipment to take. I will be looking forward to seeing some flowers and getting outside a little more.

No comments: